ELECTRICAL DESIGNER II (HARDWARE)
Reporting to the R&D Electrical Manager, the successful applicant will be responsible for designing specific modules, components and products. They will be responsible for complex phases of an engineering project requiring the application of engineering principles and techniques.
- The applicant must be fluent in the use of EDA tools, preferably Altium or other professional package.
- The applicant must be capable of generating schematics from specifications, creating the PCB, generating all relevant manufacturing and production documentation and building / populating the initial prototype.
- The applicant must be capable of bringing-up / booting / function checking the prototype PCB to verify that the overall design meets the initial specification
- The applicant must be capable of meticulously documenting all relevant technical information relevant to the design process from beginning to end, including advanced algorithms and design calculations, plans and estimates as well as the design performance characteristics and a summarised project cost breakdown
- The applicant must possess knowledge and experience in the Analogue (power supplies, amplifiers, FETS etc.) and Digital domains (micros, memory, BUS architecture, etc.)
- Fully understanding the impact of regulatory requirements and compliance on designs
- Standardising all designs as far as possible, using standard components; particular consideration must be given to inventory management, manufacturability, and maintenance. A thorough understanding of appropriate components for design, fits and tolerances is also required
- The applicant must be capable of communicating on a technical level and have a good understanding of procedures and concepts within own discipline and a basic knowledge of these elements in other disciplines e.g. Firmware and Mechanical disciplines.
- Designing modules/components/products that are reliable, cost effective and that will perform consistently in specified operating environments within agreed timelines and budgets
- Working in a professional manner consistent with the company’s commitment to excellence, and R&D’s applicable development methodologies and/or standard operating procedures
- Solving relatively complex problems in core discipline, and basic problems in other engineering disciplines. May rely on assistance from senior personnel to solve complex problems
- Acting as an advisor and coach to mentor junior members of the team
Required Qualifications / Experience
- National Diploma with 5 years’ work experience in a development environment OR
- BTech with minimum of 4 years’ work experience in a development environment OR
- Degree or equivalent qualification in Electrical Engineering with 2 years’ work experience in a development environment
- Fluent in the use of EDA tools, and a good foundation in Altium or other professional package.